Algerie PLM Hivernage Tourisme
A Vintage French Travel Poster by Leon Cauvy.
The Title of the poster is PLM - Algérie. Hivernage Tourisme and dates from around 1925
The artist Léon Cauvy began his studies of Fine Arts in 1890 and earned several awards for his sketches and ink wash paintings, although his interests focused on decorative work. He travelled to Paris and spent some time studying with Albert Maignan at the École des Beaux-arts. The famous École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts is located on the left bank in Paris, across the Seine from the Louvre, at 14 rue Bonaparte. He worked in the Salon from 1901 to 1903 and in 1907 he was a won first prize winner of the 'Prix Abd-el-Tif' and was offered a 12-month bursary to continue his studies at the 'Villa Abd-el-Tif' in Algiers.
A little about Algeria: Algérie or Algérie française (French Algeria) began in 1827 with the blockade of Algiers by the French navy and lasted from 1830 to 1962, under several governmental systems. From 1848 until independence, the entire Mediterranean region of Algeria was administered primarily as a part of France. The immense arid interior of Algeria, like the rest of French North Africa, was never considered part of France. Algeria became a destination for hundreds of thousands of European immigrants, known as colons and later, as pieds-noirs (Black-Foot).
Indigenous Muslims remained a majority of the territory's population throughout its history. Growing dissatisfaction with the lack of political and economic status drove for greater political autonomy and eventually independence, from France. Tensions between the two population groups erupted in 1954 with riots and what was later named the Algerian War. The war concluded in 1962, when Algeria gained independence.
- The 'Algerie PLM Hivernage Tourisme' Poster has been created from an original poster.
- The poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post for International and Domestic Shipping.
- A4 [210 × 297mm] - [8.3" X 11.7"]
- A3 [297 × 420mm] - [11.7" X 16.5"]
- A2 [420 × 594mm] - [16.5" X 23.4"]
- A1 [594 × 841mm] - [23.4" X 33.1"]
- A0 [841 × 1189mm] - [33.1" X 46.8"]
Algerie PLM Hivernage Tourisme - French Travel Poster 1925
- Brands Vintage
- Product Code: FRA-1102_Algeria_Hivernage-PLM-Tourisme
- Availability: In Stock