Imperial Airways - Vintage Airline Poster
The Empires Airline.
Imperial Airways was established in 1924. In the 1930s the company commenced negotiations with the Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited (QANTAS Limited). The partnership of these companies established air services between Britain and Australia. In 1934 they jointly formed ‘Qantas Empire Airways Limited’, each owning a half-share. The Australian Government purchased all shares in Qantas Empire Airways in 1947. Imperial Airways is known today as British Airways.
"Imperial Airways was a private monopoly with a public subsidy. The company paid an annual dividend to private shareholders and financed it out of the taxpayers' pocket. This set of circumstances troubled a number of people throughout its fifteen-year existence and eventually contributed to the airline's doom.
Looking back, it is difficult to imagine any alternative business structure in 1924, given that the British government wanted to see civil aviation put on an economic footing and cease the subsidies as quickly as possible.
Competition between independent private operators had failed, and the airline industry's future was still far too uncertain to warrant the creation of a state-owned flag-carrier." -- The Empire's Airway: British Civil Aviation from 1919 to 1939
- The 'Imperial Airways - The Empires Airline' Poster has been created from an original poster.
- The poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post for International and Domestic Shipping.
- A4 [210 × 297mm] - [8.3" X 11.7"]
- A3 [297 × 420mm] - [11.7 X 16.5"]
- A2 [420 × 594mm] - [16.5" X 23.4"]
- A1 [594 × 841mm] - [23.4" X 33.1"]
- A0 [841 × 1189mm] - [33.1" X 46.8"]
Imperial Airways - The Empires Airline - Vintage Airline Poster
- Brands Vintage
- Product Code: AIR-1119_Imperial-Airways_The-Empires-Airline
- Availability: In Stock